The Encounter: Buffalo by Choreographer Kimberly Bartosik
Kimberly Bartosik/daela invites interested professional and pre-professional performers to participate in her upcoming project, The Encounter: Buffalo, created in partnership with Torn Space Theater.
- Register to Audition: Please fill out this Google Form to register – https://forms.gle/TasfvxqcKXewGEVJ9
- Date: Monday November 15, 6:00pm
- Location: Torn Space Theater – 612 Fillmore Ave. Buffalo, NY 14212
- Experience: Participants do not need formal dance training, or extensive performance experience, but should be comfortable and prepared to engage in strenuous physical, athletic activity. The process will also require collaborative engagement from the performers. Ages 14 and up are welcome!
- Preparation: No preparation is necessary, but please wear clothing appropriate to move in, including sneakers or other athletic shoes.
- Questions?: E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org or call 716-768-1109
- Schedule Availability – Interested participants must be available for all rehearsals and performances to be held at Torn Space, no exceptions, including:
Fall 2021 – One Full Week of Residency Development at Torn Space Theater:
- Monday November 15, 6:00pm – Group Auditions
- Tuesday November 16 – Friday November 19, Evening TBD – Rehearsals for 3-4 hours (this means rehearsals begin immediately following the audition date)
- Saturday November 20, Morning TBD – Rehearsal for 3-4 hours
Spring 2022 – One Full Week of Residency Development followed by Two Weekends (Fri-Sun) of Performances, all at Torn Space Theater:
- Saturday May 7 – Thursday May 12, Time TBD – Tech Rehearsals.
- Friday May 13 – Sunday May 15, 7:30pm Show, Call Time TBD – Performances
- Friday May 20 – Sunday May 22, 7:30pm Show, Call Time TBD – Performances
Proof of Vaccination – Due to the indoor rehearsal and performance process, heavily physical nature of the project, and to protect the health and safety of artists and staff, Torn Space Theater will require proof of vaccination for auditionees and participants of The Encounter: Buffalo. For details about Torn Space’s Covid-19 Health and Safety Protocol, please visit: www.tornspacetheater.com/home/covid-safety
- Participants will receive an $800 honorarium for the entire residency and performance period.
About the Artist Kimberly Bartosik:
Choreographer, performer, educator, essayist Kimberly Bartosik creates viscerally provocative, ferociously intimate choreographic projects that dramatically illuminate the ephemeral nature of performance while critically, tenderly, and violently etching away at deeply distressing threads of our society.
Bartosik is a 2020 Bessie Award Honoree for Outstanding Performance & Outstanding Performer (Burr Johnson) for her work, through the mirror of their eyes (New York Live Arts). She is a 2021 recipient of a Doris Duke Foundation Performing Artist Recovery Fund in the New York Community Trust; a 2019 Guggenheim Fellowship in Choreography; and a 2020 Virginia B. Toulmin Women Leaders in Dance Fellowship at Center for Ballet and the Arts at NYU. Bartosik’s work has been commissioned and presented by BAM Next Wave Festival, New York Live Arts, LUMBERYARD, American Realness, FIAF’s Crossing the Line Festival, Abrons Art Center, Danspace Project, The Kitchen, La Mama, and others. She has toured to Supersense: Festival of the Ecstatic (Melbourne, Australia), Bratislava in Movement, Wexner Arts Center, Dance Place, American Dance Festival, The Yard, MASS MoCA/Jacob’s Pillow, FlynnSpace, Bates Dance Festival, Columbia College, and others.
Select awards include National Dance Project (NDP) Production & Touring Grant and Community Engagement Fund; MAP Fund; Jerome Foundation; FUSED (French-US Exchange in Dance); Mid-Atlantic Arts Foundation, USArtists International; Creative Arts Initiative (CAI); New Music USA, Live Music for Dance; and Foundation for Contemporary Arts, Grants to Artists and Emergency Grants.
A member of the Merce Cunningham Dance Company for 9 years, Bartosik received a Bessie Award for Exceptional Artistry in his work. For more information on Kimberly’s work, please visit: www.daela.org or follow us @kimberlybartosik_daela
About Torn Space Theater
Torn Space Theater, based in Buffalo, NY, develops and presents visually-compelling, experimental, and multimedia contemporary performances for Western New York audiences. Their site-specific works for Silo City, the Broadway- Fillmore neighborhood, and other Buffalo landmarks have garnered international recognition in the 2019 Prague Quadrennial as well as publications such as PAJ: A Journal of Performance and Art, and the Contemporary Performance Almanac. Since 2016 Torn Space has produced its RESPONSE: Performance Festival which features visiting performance groups and artist residencies including esteemed companies 600 HIGHWAYMEN, Temporary Distortion, Bridgman|Packer Dance, and Palissimo Company.
This project is supported in part by NYS DanceForce.