10th Anniversary of Original Site-Specific Ritual at Silo City
August 4-13th, 7pm Doors, 7:30pm Show
Rain Dates 8/7 & 8/14
630 Ohio St. Buffalo, 14203
Torn Space returns this August for an all-new performance ritual among the towering grain silos, celebrating a decade of immersive productions that feature a fictional society reflecting upon universal themes such as the timeline of the universe and variations of burden as well as U.S. cultural and political events.
Generation marks 10 years of Torn Space designing works in and around Silo City. This production explores the themes of boundaries and contracts, while acting as an archaeological excavation of the ceremonies, images, and meaning of a society performing their late summer ritual within the vast campus of abandoned grain elevators.
Throughout their tenure at the silos, Torn Space has developed a unique performance philosophy exploring public ritual and featuring non-traditional performers in these large-scale theater works including farmers, construction workers, military re-enactors, a marching band, falconers, and more. This philosophy has garnered them international recognition, including an invitation to present their work at the Pufendorf Institute of Lund University, Sweden, selection for the exhibition “Acts of Assembly” as part of the Prague Quadrennial, an international stage design and scenography conference and being written about in PAJ: A Journal of Performance and Art.
Generation brings audiences back to the silos for a singular performance experience revisiting motifs of past works and honoring the performers who have passed away over the course of ten years’ worth of productions. Join us August 4-6, 11-13, 7:00pm doors and 7:30pm show at Silo City – 630 Ohio St. Buffalo, NY 14203. Tickets are available now at: https://bit.ly/generationtix.
To best prepare for your experience, please see the information below:
- Location: 630 Ohio St. Buffalo, NY 14203
- **IMPORTANT** – The Michigan St. bridge is not open, please plan to use the Ohio St. bridge or the Ohio St. exit off of rt. 5 to access Silo City!
- Time: Doors at 7:00pm, Show at 7:30pm – Please check-in no later than 7:15pm, the show begins promptly at 7:30pm. We recommend you arrive early so that you can navigate the landscape, grab a drink at Duende, and make your way to the performance space without rushing.
- Parking: Parking for the show will be available on Ohio St by the gated entrance to Silo City Row.
- Rain/Inclement Weather Plan: Torn Space will only cancel performances in the event of extreme weather, and shows will be delayed as much as 30 minutes before cancellation decisions are made. Plan to arrive for your scheduled performance and keep an eye on Torn Space social media pages or your inbox for timely show scheduling decisions. If your performance is cancelled, your ticket will automatically be transferred to a rain date performance the Monday evening following your performance weekend, those dates being Monday August 7 and Monday August 14. Performance timing and details will remain the same. Unfortunately due to demand and limited capacity, we cannot honor alternative scheduling needs.
How to Prepare and What to Expect:
- Wardrobe – Dress in the theme of the show and wear a monochrome outfit (jewel tones if you so please, but black is always good)
- Drinks – Will be available on-site, you may purchase drinks at the bar in the performance space with either cash or credit card, ID’s will be checked at the box office where 21+ patrons will receive wristbands. A selection of craft beers, ciders and water will be available for purchase.
- Logistics – This is an outdoor performance in an uneven landscape, so please wear comfortable shoes (stilettos highly discouraged!) and bring bugspray, sunglasses, a hat, perhaps a sweater or light jacket, or anything that might make you more comfortable on a summer evening. Check the forecast and prepare as needed.
- Seating is provided.
- A golf cart is available for anyone who needs assistance getting to the performance site.
If you have any questions about your reservation or the performance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us:
We look forward to seeing you at the show!
Generation is part of Torn Space Theater’s INTERSECTION: Performance Series, which is made possible with lead support from the Cullen Foundation, M&T Bank, Erie County, the City of Buffalo, Empire State Development, and New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.
Critical praise for Torn Space’s work at Silo City:
“…conceived on a scale most theatre companies can only dream of.”
- PAJ: A Journal of Performance and Art
“There might be nothing more exciting happening in Buffalo performance than Torn Space’s work at Silo City.”
- Buffalo Spree
“…an explosion of what “theater” means. More than perhaps any other production in the company’s storied history of pushing boundaries and defying definitions, it forces viewers to rethink and expand their own ideas of what theater or performance can be.”
- Colin Dabkowski: Buffalo News
“-a mesmerizing melange I couldn’t look away from.”
- No Proscenium